Sunday, 8 January 2012

Da Lang Ayre; well worth the effort...

Well, today was to be the day I got over to Da Lang Ayre, a wonderfully isolated mile stretch of red beach on the back side of Ronas Hill. I'd been watching the weather all week, which indicated a calm dry spell on Sunday, returning to raina dn wind by around 3pm. Amazingly the forecast held true!

On my way to pick my friend up from the Bressay Ferry I just had to take this photo of the sunrise over Gulberwick. I wish I'd had more time to do it justice but my friend and adventure awaited.



As we passed Eela Water on the A970 this fantastic view appeared. Ronas Hill in her Sunday best. Oooh... I was so excited!



Looking up from Roga Field cairn to Mid Field cairn on our way up from Collarfirth Masts.


We plodded our way up to the chambered cairn on the top of Ronas Hill. Laughing to ourselves at the white mountain hairs trying to hide in the distinctly non-white landscape, well suppose there was a bit of snow. My friend's dog also gave us plenty of amusement swimming in the lochs, rolling and sliding in the snow; spaniels are just daft!


After a brief breather at the top, a nose in the 'visitors book' and adding our own names to it, it was over the top for the descent to Da Lang Ayre via Monius Burn.


Blogging buddies Muckle Ossa, Little Ossa and Fladda are in the distance beyond the mouth of Ronas Voe; the Cleiver is peeping out, bottom right, at the end of Monius Burn. The climb down was looking pretty steep and I was trying not to think about having to climb back up!


Closer...


Closer...



Now we could see round to Turls Head and Gruna Stack...


The last part is descended along side a waterfall with a length of nylon rope to steady you on the slippery red granites.


Looking back up the last bit from the beach, rope just visible to the left...


And out to sea and The Hog and The Cleiver...


Looking North-East towards the Turls Head and Gruna Stack...


And South-West past The Cleiver...



 The Hog in front, The Cleiver behind...


 And finally The Sabic Duck on what I assume is it's first visit to Lang Ayre and Ronas Hill, possibly Shetland too! My brother works for the company and apparently people take picture of the duck in various locations, Beren had a the duck, so I thought why not!


 We stayed on the beach for around 45 minutes before deciding we would have to bite the bullet and get back up and over Ronas Hill. All I can say is be prepared for a real slog up the burn and to the shoulder of Ronas. I thought I was going to have a coronary, really, but I'm not too good; it's still a stiff climb though.

Eventually we made enough height to start the relatively easy contouring around the summit to Mid Field and back to the car. The forecast was bang on as about 2.30pm the mist, then drizzle, then rain came in and the temperature dropped, but we didn't care we'd had a great day and were back at the car. It's about a10 miles round trip, we took it very easy with plenty of breaks and took about 5 hours in total. Another great spot for a summer camp!

Hopefully I'll be re-charged for another venture next weekend. Uyea, North-West of North Roe has had it's name on my list for a while.


In other news...
Unfortunately, being where I was I missed a spectacular display of Orcas on the South-East coast. Still, by the sounds of it it was very busy with sight seers, one day I'll get to see them...

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I finally got round to reading the Move Shetland Newsletter last night and see your 'blog of the month'!! Congrats! Your blog is fantastic and I've been following for around a year so was pleased to see that :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you kind comments Laura, I only heard of the mention in move shetland the other day froma friend. Glad to hear you've been enjoying hearing of my ventures and more to come...

    ReplyDelete