Sunday, 13 October 2013

A wild camp on Uyea and the Burn of Brettoo


Taking advantage of a good forecast I set off from Sandvoe to walk the coast to Uyea and camp there the night. I wasn't sure if I might even camp there a couple of nights or move along the coast to the falls on the Burn of Brettoo and stay there the night too. As it panned out it was only to be a one night trip for no other reason than poor preparation.

I always heard that you really should add around 10% water to meths for the stove, it helps to stop pans going black (which doesn't worry me) and I assumed it might last longer. If I'd stopped to think I would have realised it also brings the heat of the stove down and so lengthens cooking time and a by-product of that is you'd need more watered down fuel by volume than the standard meths. 

Now if I'd have tried my watered fuel at home I would have realised, but I didn't and so my first brew stop took an age. An age to light the stove and an age for it to get to a near boil, which meant it also used more of my fuel than planned. The result being that I didn't have enough fuel to stay out a couple of nights (and there's a distinct lack of wood where I was) and what fuel I did have didn't get hot enough to cook properly. Lesson learnt! I had a great time anyway.

It was an amazing day for October. Calder's Head up a head...


The Point of Fethaland behind in the distance...


Uyea coming into view...




The tide wasn't low, but the sand bar was built up enough to get across to Uyea, though to get onto the island properly I needed to wait a while. This is where I realised my fuel error, but I had time to kill and a view to die for while the water almost boiled...



There were many seals on the beaches around Uyea including about 9 grey seal pups that I saw. I tried not to disturb them as I walked past and took a few photos on my way on to the island.


I set up my home for the night and went for a little explore as the sun was setting.


The bay, The Haa, was full of fire wood and I had hoped to have a little fire here on the evening, but it was also full of seals and their pups so I decided not to disturb them. I've never seen such a bank of drift wood in Shetland.


It was a wonderful sunset...



And a cracking night too...


The next day I packed up to head along the coast to the Burn of Brettoo and the impressive looking falls that are there. Yet another stunning day...


The waterfalls at the Burn of Brettoo down to the sea were most certainly worth the walk there...




From the Burn of Brettoo I went up on to the Beorgs Uyea to look for the remains of the neolithic axe factory  that is there. Here's the view from the top looking back to Uyea...


The hillside is scattered with the remains of stone quarrying and for all the 'axe factory' isn't much to look at it is pretty interesting. A wall and roof of stone was built along side an outcrop of the quarried felsite rock to offer some protection from the elements whilst working up here. 


The view looking up to Ronas Hill from the Beorgs...


From here I walked back to the car at Sandvoe by way of the very peaty Hill of Sandvoe. I had a great night out and couple of days walking and despite one night less than was planned it was all good fun. I'm editing a video of my trip so if you check back here in a little while it should be on here too with lots more sights an sounds of the coast.

If you're feeling fit and the weather and tides are right a walk out to Uyea is a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment