Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Ellen Gray's Bottom is really rather nice!

With head down into the hail I set off from Lera Voe near Walls along a peat road on my way to see Ellen Gray's Bottom!

I've been bemused by the name of the burn/valley at the end of Core Path CPPWS01 for sometime. I still don't know the reason for the name, so if you do let me know. I do know a bottom is a valley as opposed to a top being a hill, but who is Ellen Gray??

Anyway here's her bottom, with Foula looking on...


You can continue north to Footabrough, though for some reason the core path stops here...


My way was south-east, back towards Burrastow. Thankfully the hail had stopped.


Looking out to Foula from The Skerries of Easter Paill...


Barni Loch...


The Peak...


The Peak and the Voe of Littlure are real gems. Intriguing pools and rock structures with lovely banks that long to be camped on. The tidal pool is also pretty inviting...


I expected/hoped to see seals hauled out on the beach, maybe even some pups, but I wasn't that lucky. They were in the water though...


On the Head of Uskiegeo is a wonderful small stone hut with a seaward facing bench at the back. I wish it was mine...


It was a cold, but gorgeous late afternoon with the feeling of snow to come...


The view of Vaila from Fogla Geo...


And Vaila from Quinni Geo...


All too soon I was back at Burrastow House with just a short road walk back to the car...


But thankfully a handful of reasons to get back out there in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment