Sunday, 9 February 2014

Big skies on Lunna Ness

On what must be the first decent day for months I took the chance to get out and check a walk over that I'm doing an article about in the near future.

The route takes you from Outrabister out and around the end of Lunna Ness and back via The Stanes O' Stofast...


It's about 11km as I walked it (according to my GPS) over ground ranging from well grazed banks and sheep tracks to rough hillside and bog. At the moment all the ground was pretty boggy actually!


Heading north-east from Outrabister...


It was a day of big skies...



Mill Loch...


Feor Wick...


Soon Lunna Holm at the end of the ness was in sight...




After a bite to eat it was time to turn back south-west and head up the spine of Lunna Ness towards The Ward of Outrabister (a dizzying 90m high).

Passing the Lochs of Ward and Winneries made a change from going up deep heather hills...


The view from the top are fantastic. Looking towards Noss and Bressay from The Ward of Outrabister...


And heading on towards the Stanes O' Stofast...



From the Stanes I returned across the moor to the car at Outrabister and had a chat with the owner of Outrabister Antiques (if he's there he's open) about the walks around about and numbers of visitors. After a cup of tea and with some survival ration cake in my pocket I picked up my rucksack and headed back across the moor to the Stanes to camp for the night. It was forecast to be a calm and dry night before rain and wind returned on Saturday morning so I wanted to try out my new tent ( Force 10 helium 200) in good weather and not far from the car.

The tent went up like a dream and had enough space for me and my gear along with enough space in the porch to cook. As usual though what is classed as a 2 man tent wouldn't be practical for 2.



Annoyingly I didn't stay the night in the end! I've had a dodgy stomach all week which had settled down enough for me to consider the camp, or so I'd thought. Later after several trips out across the moor to relieve my bowels I decided to pack up and go home to feel sorry for myself. Sound a sleep in bed at home I missed what must have been the best aurora showing of this winter! Ironically I'd wanted to camp at the Stanes thinking that the stars, or if I was lucky, aurora, would look ace behind them. Fair to say I am pretty gutted at the turn of events, but atleast I checked out the tent and enjoyed the setting for a while.

Here's a video of my walk and subsequent 'camp'. It's a little lengthy, but I hope it does the wonderful landscape some justice...


No comments:

Post a Comment