Sunday, 5 February 2017

Bike some hike some. The Clift Hills

Well, I'm sorry I didn't get any coverage of Up Helly Aa. This is the first year we've not gone! The weather was awful and Beren didn't want to go, and to be honest neither did we. We did watch the live stream of it via 60N though, complete with snacks.

Today the weather was fairly reasonable for a change, so I decided on a bit of a crazy plan to cycle down to Maywick with my walking gear. Leave the bike there and then walk back to Scalloway over the Clift Hills, something I've been wanting to do for years.

Approaching Maywick after an 18.5 miles ride into a headwind. I was already fairly tired!


The straight forward route on the road from Scalloway...


Bike chained up and ready to set off up the hills...


I'd left a little note to stop someone sending a rescue team out for me...


There's no paths, hardly even sheep tracks on these hills and there's lots and lots of bog. It's pretty hard going. 

Look north to Royal Field, my first summit on the route, but a few boggy steep valleys between us...


South Havra off Burra...


East and West Burra...


 Royal Field, the second highest hill on Mainland Shetland at 293m. Ronas Hill is a bit higher, but lots easier to get to.


Looking back top Royal Field across some soggy ground...


Holm Field 290m...


I took lots more phone photos, but I've got a new phone and messed them up. Seems like it doesn't auto-focus or something and with the sun and my tired state I was just snapping a pic as and when with out paying much attention.

Looking south down Clift Sound...


Nearly home and very tired after 11.5m miles of rough hills and the 18.5 mile ride to get there!


And here's the route I took back to Scalloway...


A great walk if you're feeling fit. I'd advise taking walking poles as they came in very handy!

Til the next time...

4 comments:

  1. We watched the Up Helly AA via the tinternet too, complete with snacks and the weather wasn't brilliant here either. Your walk had me shuddering and my husband groaning in envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the walk was definitely a mix of suffering and elation at doing it. Achy today! Cheers for commenting

      Delete
  2. Hi Kevin, you are a glutton for punishment!!!! Nice trip though.
    We have gone to Nesting UHA over the past few years as it is more like Scalloway but rural and often with better weather. I think it's on Friday coming.
    Orrabest
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I've not done nesting, but Beren's got a Valentine disco this Friday. May get across to Bressay FF. Cheers Scott

      Delete