Sunday, 7 May 2017

A peerie Shetland cycle tour...

I know I've been extremely slack posting for a while lately; sadly it's likely to continue! But hopefully this will make amends to my followers.

I'm just back form 3 days cycling around the north of Shetland with a friend; another friend joined us for the first night too. it also coincided with some rather fresh northerlies which exercised our legs and mental strength for much of the first two days as we headed north.

Dat 1 saw us leaving Scalloway and heading north for a night in Jonny Notion's Bod at Hamnavoe, Eshaness.


We headed down up the Tingwall valley and out west to take the Alps Road to Voe. It's always hilly, but it was a strong head wind too, so combined with loaded bikes it was slow hard going.

My set up...


The Alps fridge...


The top!


We met our other friend at the top and headed to Frankies in Brae for a well earned and later than planned lunch...


Battling north took us to the bod eventually...




A cosy night in front of the fire..


And a nice sunset...


Day 2 started with us leaving the bod at 7.15am, heading back to Brae and along to Toft on our way to Unst via the east coast of Yell...



Early morning over Hillswick...


Approaching Aywick, Yell...


At Mid yell we had a rather splendid lunch at LJ's. Yum!


And I had the treat of travelling on the bridge across Blue Mull Sound to Unst...


Night 2 was spent in Uyeasound at Gardiesfield Hostel. An excellent place to stay.


And with supplies from Skibhoul Stores...


We knocked up a tasty cheesy corn beef hash and fried eggs for tea!


The wind really got up over night, but still being northerly it blew us much of the way back home!


 And on the way we bumped into Dan and Amy Bailey from Anchorage, Alaska, on a 3 week bikepacking tour of Scotland!


 Nice bikes and setups for an extended photo blogging tour...
 


And that was my weekend! You can see it below in glorious HD with the wind noise left in for you to enjoy it too. My ears are still ringing from it...


Thanks for popping by. I hope you enjoy my blog even though I'm not posting as frequently lately.

Cheerie Bye!

3 comments:

  1. Oh that early morning shot across Hiklswick. It took my breath away. Stunning. Coming up next Saturday for a week on my own to stay with a good friend I have made on my visits up. Also starting to do some fact finding for our move up next year. This coming September will be our last holiday, next year we will be moving up. Hope we can meet up for a cuppa once we have moved up. Thanks for your blog entries, I really enjoy them, though it does give me heartache and longing too. So bittersweet, but welcome nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ellen. Other than the wind the weather was lovely with both sunset and early morning pretty glorious. Good look with the move plans!

      Delete